Our Program


Have you always dreamed of going abroad? Discovering another country while developing your skills? Teach at the best schools and build your professional network while enjoying all that the USA has to offer.

J-1 Teacher Exchange Program

What We Offer

Eligibility Requirements

Fees / Cost

About The J-1 visa Program

Transcript Evaluation

J-1 Teacher Exchange Program

Our J-1 Teacher Exchange Program is a unique program that provides experienced foreign educators the opportunity to explore a new educational and cultural environment through full-time teaching positions in the United States. Participants are able to gain exposure to American teaching methods while host schools open doors to fresh perspectives and valuable viewpoints in U.S. classrooms.

Students gain valuable perspective and are exposed to different viewpoints which allow them to broaden their own perceptions, ensuring they are prepared for the challenges of our changing world. Because HRC believes all students should benefit by having the opportunity to learn from an international educator, we are able to provide services to all types of schools; public, private, charter or independent.

What We Offer

HRC recruits highly qualified individuals who wish to travel to the United States for full-time, paid teaching positions at accredited K-12 schools. HRC provides assistance and services to schools and teachers. Including, but not limited to:

  • Pre screening of applicants for various teaching positions for host schools to interview
  • J-1 Visa sponsorship (up to three years) for qualified individuals and their dependents
  • Issuance of the “Certificate of Eligibility for J-1 Visa” (Form DS-2019) to successful applicants
  • Host school and applicant vetting
  • Comprehensive health and medical insurance
  • 24-hour emergency support for teachers and host schools
  • Program monitoring and regular evaluations
  • Program orientation and information session to both host school and participant
  • Optional Housing Assistance
  • Ongoing guidance throughout the program, including an annual professional development opportunity, which can help teachers to fulfill the cultural exchange requirement of the J-1 Visa.
  • Cultural activities to become accustomed to the American way-of-life
  • Buddy program
  • Tax assistance

Would you like to find out more? Call us on +1 404 257 9400 or send your resume to [email protected]

Eligibility Requirements

At the time of initial application to the sponsor, the applicant must:

    Meet the qualifications for teaching at the primary (including pre-kindergarten) or secondary levels in schools in his or her home country; is working as a teacher in his or her home country at the time of application; and has at least two years of full-time teaching experience;
    Is not working as a teacher in his or her home country at the time of application, but otherwise meets the qualifications for teaching at the primary (including pre-kindergarten) or secondary levels in schools in the home country; has had at least two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years; and, within 12 months of his or her application submission date for the program, has or will have completed an advanced degree (beyond a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree) in education or in an academic subject matter that he or she intends to teach or that is directly related to his or her teaching subject field
  • Possesses, at a minimum, a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree in either education or the academic subject field in which he or she intends to teach
  • Satisfies the teaching eligibility standards of the U.S. state in which he or she will teach (e.g., meets minimum educational requirements, has passed teacher training coursework at a sufficiently proficient level, has provided an evaluation of foreign teaching preparation coursework, has demonstrated the requisite prior teaching experience), to include any required criminal background or other checks;
  • Is of good reputation and character (evidenced by reference letters)
  • Possesses sufficient proficiency in the English language to function in U.S. classrooms and to function on a day-to-day basis

Fees / Cost

HRC international does not charge any upfront administration fees and no payments need to be made until you have been accepted in a teacher program by the host school.

About The J-1 Visa Program

The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences, and to encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries.

Transcript Evaluation

SpanTran is our recommended international transcript evaluation service. They have created a custom application for HRC International and will make sure you select the right kind of evaluation at a discounted rate. You can access their application by click the button below.


What Our Clients Have To Say

Discover the impact of our services through the words of our valued clients—a testament to the strong partnerships we foster and the tailored services we provide.


Executive Chef ONE65 San Francisco​

"I have continuously worked with HRC since 2005. The relationship that we have built over the years allowed me to integrate over 100 J-1’s in the day-to-day operations. They have a great network of potential employees and understand the needs of our business. The most satisfying part for me is seeing the young professionals develop their skills in front of my eyes to become leaders at the workplace and in the community. HRC and their highly competent staff make the entire process fast and seamless"


Frequently Asked Questions

Browse through the various question and answer categories which we have identified.
How much does a visa cost?

The processing fee for a J1 visa for the 23-24 school year is $1,250. However, there are several other expenses to take into account when deciding if a J1 visa is attainable for you. Visit our fees page for a complete list of fees and expected expenses.

How much money should I bring with me?
Everyone’s situation is different, so there is not a set amount of finances we can advise you to bring along. However, you need to be sure you have enough funds for acquiring housing, transportation, food, living expenses for at least 2 months, and any deposits needed for housing and transportation. This amount will also vary depending on the area you will be going to. HRC strongly recommends you do your research and come over-prepared to ensure the best experience possible.
Can HRC provide financial assistance?

HRC Is unable to provide any sort of financial assistance to J1’s. However, we do our best to prepare each J1 before their arrival to ensure they are aware of any and all expenses to expect.

Can I bring my family?
You are able to bring your spouse and children with you if you choose. However, we do recommend waiting at least 3 months after your initial arrival to bring any dependents to the US. This allows you time to settle into your new surroundings and get into a good routine. Please also keep in mind that you are responsible for all visa processing fees, consulate fees, living expenses, and insurance for your J2’s throughout your program.
How long can I stay in the US?
The J1 visa for teachers allows you to stay in the US for up to 3 years.
Where do I live?
While you are responsible for finding your own housing, HRC offers support and recommendations during your search. If you are working with a partner, they will likely have additional information and resources for you as well. HRC strongly recommends you begin your search before you arrive in the US, as housing can be very difficult to acquire.
How do I get around?
Many areas have public transportation available. However, if you are in a rural area you may need to purchase a vehicle. HRC strongly recommends you research the area you will be going to, including transportation options in the area to determine the best option for you. HRC also recommends you bring enough funds with you to purchase reliable transportation upon arrival if needed.
Do I have to find my own job offer?
Most of our teachers already have a job offer secured before contacting HRC about sponsorship. However, if you are looking for a position, feel free to reach out and we can check our extensive network of schools to see if we can help secure a position for you.
What do I do when I arrive?
When you arrive, simply give HRC a call to check and get yourself settled in your new area. Be sure to get your US phone number set up and wait to apply for your social security number for 10 days after you arrive.
How do I get a social security number?
In order to get your social security number you need to contact your local social security administration office and submit an application for a social security number. You should wait at least 10 days after you arrive to apply for your social security number and your application may take up to 8 weeks to be processed.
Can I travel back home while in the US?
Absolutely! You can still travel to visit back home or on vacation once you have your DS-2019 validated. Reach out to your account manager with any questions!